April 16, 2013

Mi Casa Mexicana


Being in SoCal, you get spoiled to finding good Mexican food at every turn. But, every now and then, you come across a place that seems to shine just a bit brighter than the others. You may notice just the slightest difference in the simplest of things, but it will be enough to make you stop for a minute and take a closer look. That was the case for me when it came to this restaurant, Mi Casa Mexicana.

While this was my first visit to this restaurant, it wasn't my first time eating their food. The previous week, a friend had stopped by and brought some food from this place. I had a carnitas burrito and it was a good size burrito.

I took a bite and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was! I wasn't expecting it to taste like shit, but it was certainly better than the run-of-mill burritos I've come across. The pork was tender and juicy. But what really took me back was how flavorful the rice and beans were! So many places tend to neglect these two common side dishes. When I see a place take the time to make sure that even the rice and beans are going to be worth every bite, I know it's going to be a place I'm going to come back to.

After the meal, I knew I was going to have to check this place out on my own.

After a shift at work, I decided to try this place out. I drove up, pulled into the parking lot, and noticed something very apparent: There isn't anything around here! Now, this restaurant is located just a few miles from Disneyland, so there's lots of stuff in the area. But, in the immediate vicinity of this restaurant, it's almost on an island. There's a laundry mat next door, and that's it. The street that it's on is almost a side street.

Sure, the location probably isn't the best, but lets not worry about that too much. Let's talk about the food.

As I sat down and looked around, I noticed that they had a good variety of beers located near the front register. Lots of beer is always a good sign to me.

A lady came by my table and brought me a menu and asked if I would like something to drink. I wasn't really in the mood for beer, so I just went with an iced tea.

The menu looked good and the prices were very reasonable. Five dollar burritos, and most of the plate meals were between $6.99 and $10.99, with seafood usually being on the higher end of that spectrum.

When the nice lady came back to get my order, I asked to get the tamale plate. I don't get tamales very often, so it was a nice change.

As the nice lady walked away, my jaw almost hit the ground when I noticed how big her booty was! For her size, she had quite the derrière, with a nice bit of wobble to it, too. MmmMmmmMmmm. I didn't know what desserts they had, but I was hoping those cakes were on the menu!

When she came back with the food, I said "Thank you", eye-humped her as she walked away, then took a picture of my food. Here it is:

These tamales were pretty good. These happened to be chicken tamales, and had a decent amount of chicken in them. The chicken was tender and tasted good. The green sauce had just a little heat to it, but not enough to frighten anyone away. The rice and beans were on point and the small bit of guacamole at the top was a nice treat. Definitely a dish to try if you go there.

Since I had just gotten off of work, I was a bit famished and took this plate down in about 6 or 7 minutes. Not a whole lot of savoring going down this time around. Maybe next time....

When the nice lady came back and asked if I would like a dessert, tons of dirty thoughts and crude remarks came to mind. But, I chose to go the respectful route and say "No thanks. I'm stuffed!". I was telling the truth, too. I also wanted to stuff her, but like I said, I try and be respectful.

There you have it. A reasonably priced eatery not too far from the Happiest Place On Earth. So, if you are looking for a good meal that will save you a few bucks on your vacation, give this place a look.

Mi Casa Mexicana
630 W. Orangewood Ave. Anaheim, CA 92802
714-971-0111 

I'm out.

1 comment:

  1. I love the food here! I'm working my way through their menu and so far, I've enjoyed everything I've eaten. Since I go there about once a week, it'll take me a while to go through their large menu! Great post, Chef Jason!

    ReplyDelete