May 21, 2013

Cali Tacos


Welcome back for blog post #98! This one is going to be another quickie because I got bidnis to take care of. That's right, I said BIDNIS, not BUSINESS! Anyway, to start this one off, I have to back-track a little so you get an idea of how I found this place.

A little over a month ago, I bought a bicycle. I bought it for a few reasons, but the best part about buying it is that I've been able to get a little exercise out of it. On my days off from work, I'll usually go ride somewhere not too far for lunch or just to the park. During these rides, I've passed by a lot of places I didn't even realize that were there. This happened to be one of those places.

A banner on the outside of this place said it had some of the best burritos in San Diego. That sounded like a good enough reason for me to try it.

When I stepped in the restaurant, I walked up to the counter and started reading the menu. On it, they stated that they served the breakfast burritos all day. Personally, I'm always on the lookout for a good breakfast burrito. The girl working there told me about a couple of their higher selling burritos. They sounded good, but they weren't what I was in the mood for. I chose to go with a sausage and potato burrito.

After about 4 or 5 minutes, my burrito was done. The girl at the counter told me she put all 3 salsas in the bag to see which one I would like. That was a nice touch. :)

I took my food and rode over to the Starbucks I had intended on going to. I got my drink and sat outside. I opened my bag and this is what I was looking at:

This was a big burrito. It felt like it weighed around 1lb. In my opinion, ALL breakfast burritos should be this size! If you can't bludgeon a small dog to death with it, it's not big enough!

These are the salsas I got:

Like most places, red equals hotter and green equals mild. Those two were ok. The one at the bottom is what I would call a chipotle cream sauce. That sauce was rockin'! I would've licked that sauce off one of Oprah's old ass titties!

After a couple bites, when you get past all the tortilla at the end, I got to the goodies. And...it was... well, see for yourself:

This burrito basically had 4 ingredients. Sausage, egg, potatoes, and cheese. The first 3 ingredients were basically mashed together. While the taste wasn't bad, it did have a real funky mouth-feel to it. There was almost no texture differential at all. Just soft, slightly oily filling from front to back. If I wasn't as hungry as I was, I don't think I would have finished it.

It didn't taste bad, but I like texture. I like seeing the layers of food. I like for the ingredients to be able to come together, yet still be good enough to stand on their own.

If I do go to this place again, maybe I'll just order tacos. Especially since "tacos" is part of their name.

Cali Tacos

1639 W Chapman Ave
Orange, CA 92868

(714) 912-4888

I'm out.

2 comments:

  1. Breakfast burritos arer ok, what you NEED to try is the "Angel Burrito", taste that and then let me know if you have the same oppinnion :P

    I personally LOVE it, plus, it has the creamy chipotle inside ;)

    Chris M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had back there, I'll be sure to try that one. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete