March 11, 2014

7 Leaves Cafe


Hi Everybody! Thank you for stopping by for another round of blog awesomeness. What I have for you today is a quick review of a local coffee shop that recently opened. As a part time rebel, I try and do my part by supporting local businesses. Whenever I see a coffee shop that isn't Starbucks open up, I will always give them a try. Let's face it, Starbucks will be ok without the few bucks I spend on an iced coffee.

One of the first things that got my attention was the décor. I'm no interior decorator, but this place was clean. Everything feels modern and hip. I think my cool status went up a couple points just by walking through the doors.

The next thing I'm going to talk about is not something I normally bring up, but I feel I can't really overlook it. That would be the topic of race. The clientele is almost entirely Asian. Please understand, I do not have a problem with this at all. But I would guess that I was the darkest thing they had seen since nightfall, and I'm not that dark!

In the end, the real concern won't be the other customers sitting next to you, it will be the coffee and food. So let's get down to business.

The menu is small and very straight forward. A handful of coffees to choose from, as well as tea and boba drinks. The food selections are limited as well. All of this is fine, because a large menu doesn't mean good food.

I had ordered a basic coffee and some garlic fries. When asked if I had wanted the fries spicy, I blurted out "YES!". I would soon realize that probably wasn't the best answer.

The coffee was good. Clean flavor with little bitterness. I did add a small bit of sugar to it just for balance, but a quality cup of coffee. The fries were crisp with lots of garlic and spicy goodness. The heat was enough to make you reach for a drink, but not enough to make things unpleasant. It was at this point I realized the error in my ordering.

Spicy fries and hot coffee just don't mix. Who knew that drinking hot coffee would give you no relief from spicy foods???

I felt like a complete dumb-ass after I took the first bite of the fries. I knew that coffee wasn't gonna do shit for the heat but make things worse. Luckily, they offered free ice water at the condiment table. In the end, I took most of the fries home and ate them there.

Overall, it's not a bad spot. A little hip with an eclectic menu. They also offer Vietnamese coffee, as well as duck sliders. If you happen to be in Garden Grove, give the place a try and tell Starbucks to suck it.

7 Leaves Café
13481 Euclid St
Ste B

Garden Grove, CA 92840

I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment