May 7, 2012

Avec Eric


They say that inspiration can come from anywhere. You know what? They are right. You can be driving down the street and see something that will inspire you to read a book or write a song. You may see a plastic grocery bag floating in a breeze and think "Wow, that kid from 'American Beauty' must have been really high to zone out on this.". Where was I going with this........oh yeah, INSPIRATIONS!

Some people search far and wide just to get the creative juices flowing. Some simply look out the window or take a walk around the block. For me, I never have to really look that far. I can usually find inspiration within my career, that is to say, the food biz. Drugs or booze were never really needed for this process. Sure, I may have already downed 3 shots of whiskey as I'm writing this, but I don't need to do that to write. I just like to. :)

From time to time I'll head to Barnes & Noble and skim through some of the new cook books out there. I'll laugh for a bit at all the losers and half-wits who got cook books(i.e. cast offs of various reality cooking shows), then I'll grab a book from a chef that I know is at the top of their game. Guys like Rick Bayless and Eric Ripert. When you see chefs like these two cook, you can see the passion that they have for what they do. You can see how much pride they have for even the simplest of dishes that they prepare. I see that and it makes me want to get in the kitchen. So what if it's 2 a.m.! I'm gonna get my ass in that kitchen and try something! 3 a.m.? Yeah, I'll wait until the morning.

What inspired me to make the dish above was an internet video I saw of Eric Ripert. You might have seen him doing a quick demo on a morning show like "Today" or "Good Morning, America". I mostly see him on No Reservation with Anthony Bourdain. He's the calm, cool French guy that Bourdain can never get a rise out of. When Bourdain went back to his old job to work a double, he dragged Ripert on the line with him because he thought he would suffer just as much as he was. Ripert just smiled and did his job. Bourdain got annoyed because Ripert actually enjoyed himself!

Eric Ripert actually has his own cooking show on PBS called Avec Eric. His latest book has the same title as well.

Simply put, I dig this guys style. Simple, fresh, and delicious. He makes it all look so easy. I could say more, but it will be easier to see for yourself.

After watching the video, a couple thoughts really stood out. First, I couldn't believe how easy it was to do chicken like that. Second, he just said "I'm tossing my salad"! When I stopped giggling like a little girl, I knew I had to try this out.

So, after work I stopped by the store and picked up the chicken tenderloin strips. I figured I'd make some pasta to go with it, just to make it a more filling meal.

I Soaked some skewers and ran those right up the keyster of the tenderloins. A few of them I added some cherry tomatoes. I didn't have any herbs de provence, so I just used a little italian seasoning mix.


I chopped up 1small onion and 1 small bell pepper and sauteed those just for a few minutes. I threw in a few chopped garlic cloves to the mix and cooked a few more minutes. I poured in some chianti and reduced that before adding the pasta sauce.

I used a plain jar pasta sauce. I just doctored it up a bunch. When I dropped the pasta in the water, I put the chicken in the broiler. When the pasta was about 2/3 done, I took it out the water and put it right into the sauce.

By the time the pasta was done, the chicken was done.

This meal really took no time at all. It came together so quickly that everyone else in the house was like "Your done already?" You gotta love meals like that. Here's one more pic of the finished product. I know the plate up isn't that great. I'm a pastry chef, ok? Cut a brotha some slack! I'm trying!

After I took that picture, I added some ricotta that I made the day before. The pasta was great. I think I actually got it al dente. Maybe that pole smoker Scott Conant from the show Chopped would approve. Come to think of it, no, he wouldn't approve. Why? Because according to him, he's the only one that knows how to cook pasta right. Fuck you Conant! That's why you were too pussy to compete in Chopped All Stars. Fucking asshole.

Anyway, the pasta was dope. The chicken...was almost dope. Everyone else liked it, but I thought I overcooked it by just a hair. It wasn't dry, but I felt it had slightly crossed that line from perfect to just starting to dry out. It still tasted good though.

I had a few uncooked strips left, so I tried it again the next day and got it right. I also made that honey mustard Ripert made, and that was some really good stuff. Just dijon and honey. It doesn't get any easier.

Well, that's it for this one my friends. I hope you enjoyed my little story of inspiration and what turned out to be a tasty Saturday night dinner. I don't expect this to inspire you to cook something up. If anything, I'd like to think that this might get you to think about what inspires you. Even if it's just for a second.

Take Care

J. Miller

3 comments:

  1. I think Eric Ripert is pretty cool! Anthony Bourdain on the other hand is a pompous jerk who can kiss my ass! I didn't know Chef Ripert had his own show, what day? Cuz that's going on the DVR! Back to work tomorrow! See you then!!!

    PS You're absolutely right about Scott Conant too! He's a jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, bourdain is a class 1 dick, but he does make good points as well. And he's never tried say he's not a dick. I like that bourdain can appreciate all good food, five star or in someones backyard.

    I'm not sure when his show airs, but my bro told me you can watch episodes on hulu.

    And Conant can eat a fat one!

    See ya at work Joel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Cristina and I'm intrigued by your blog...glad to hear an original voice who's not afraid to talk about home cooking and fast food with humor and balance.

    I'm working with New Year Publishing, and one of the authors we represent, cooking instructor David Harap, has recently released his newest cookbook, Entertain Like a Texas Gentleman!

    This would make a fabulous Father's Day gift and contains plenty of meatless entrees, as well as filling side dishes, salads, and desserts. Fascinated with food since childhood, Harap blends local American cuisine standbys with innovations he's picked up on his global travels.

    Recipes in his book work for those with all levels of cooking experience, and help men host Superbowl parties, entertain friends, and even bring their sweethearts breakfast in bed! Having cooked professionally to pay his way through college, David loves to share what he's learned with others. His website is www.likeagent.com

    Please let me know if you would like to chat with David and review or share some recipes from his cookbook! We would be more than happy to put him in touch with you and/or to provide review and blog giveaway copies.

    Sincerely,

    Cristina Deptula

    New Year Publishing

    www.newyearpublishing.com

    ReplyDelete