July 10, 2012

The Waffle Breakfast Sandwich


This is actually a first for me. I'm writing this, and going to publish, right after I got through eating the food I'm going to review. Normally, I end up writing these within the week of going to the restaurant. But not this time. I still got the food in my belly, and I'm not screaming in pain or shoving people out of the way to get to the toilet. I would call that a good start.

What you see above is the latest breakfast sandwich unveiled by Jack In The Box. I think the name and the picture basically say it all. If I had to make a comparison, it would be to the McGriddle from Mcdonald's. Instead of pancakes as the outer layers, you have waffles. Not a bad start, in my opinion.

I walked in and placed my order. I would say it took about 4 to 5 minutes to get it. Anytime you order a waffle, don't expect to get it in 30 seconds. These things take time. When I did get my order, I sat down and unwrapped my food. This is what I was looking at:

Aside from a bit of bad photography, yes, that is a little bit of black crispiness on top of that waffle. Both sides had a little bit on there. That's not exactly a great start, but it's not a deal breaker either. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've gotten those Eggo Waffles a little too crispy.

Before I even took off the wrapper, I could smell the maple syrup coming from the waffles. I took a couple bites and realized that it wasn't as sweet as I was anticipating. I was expecting the same kind of sweetness like you would get in a McGriddle. I would say this sandwich had about 1/2 that sweetness.

Overall, it's not a bad breakfast sandwich. It did seem a lot lighter in the belly than other breakfast sandwiches, though. I felt like I could have downed a couple of those things easily. I like the idea of going with a waffle, but they need to be more careful with toasting them.

I would have liked a little more sweetness to the waffle. It had a good flavor and texture, but not enough of those maple crystals or whatever the hell they use to get that maple syrup flavor in it.

If you happen to stop by a Jack In The Box, give this one a shot. If you feel like the McGriddle is more than what you are looking for, or it's after normal breakfast hours, the waffle breakfast sandwich may be right up your keyster, uuhh, I mean alley. :)

J. Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment