September 23, 2012

Angie's Deli


Hey everyone! I know it's been a couple weeks since my last post, but I have a very good reason: I was on vacation! I got a chance to actually get out of town and spend time with some of the family I don't see all the time. Since I knew I was gonna be away from the computer, I decided it was best to take a break from posting. But, I didn't take a break from eating bomb-ass food and getting some pictures. So, for the next few weeks, you'll be seeing bits and pieces of my vacation by way of what I put in my belly. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

While this wasn't the first food stop during my vacation, it was the most heart-felt location. The official name of this place is Angie's Deli, I know it simply as Angie's. I think another name you can give this place is "The best Mexican food in Southern California". That's right. I said it. It's not getting any better than this. Why? Let me explain...

Growing up, I lived a short time in Norwalk, CA. I'm not sure how my family found this place, but we all loved it. I would pass by this place walking home from school, and if had the money, I made sure to stop by and get a bean and cheese burrito. Hey, it's the simple things in life that brings the best smiles.

Anyway, over a decade passes, I get older and taste foods from Hawaii to Florida and wind up in Orange County, CA. And you know what? I still haven't found Mexican food that can challenge Angie's.

I went to Angie's with my brother and a friend of his. We were coming up from San Diego and had to stop by here. My brother and I both have fond memories of this place, so it really was a no-brainer going there. The only choice was what to order.

I've been trying to break away from ordering my usual items: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, or chorizo. For some reason, I almost always get one of those items. My brother, Tony, said I should try the Birria. He said it was goat. So...I said fuck it. Bring on the goat!

Here is what I got:

Now, I can only recall having goat maybe one other time, and I couldn't remember what I thought about it. What I do know is that this plate of food fucking rocked! The meat was super tender and had a great taste. I guess you could say it had a slight "gamey" taste to it. Not bad in any sense. If you like lamb, you are gonna like goat.

The rice and beans were awesome, as always. In fact, that's really one of the best ways to test a new Mexican restaurant. If they manage to fuck up their rice and beans, RUN! Odds are it's not gonna get much better after that.

After the meal, we ordered a couple bean and cheese burritos for the road and went on our way. We ended up taking a picture a little later. Everyone, say hi to my brother Tony.

Like I said earlier, this wasn't the first stop on my vacation. I got a couple more spots in San Diego to tell you about, so stay tuned!

Here is the address for Angie's Deli.

14346 Pioneer Blvd
Norwalk, CA 90650
(562) 863-1277


I'm out.

J. Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment