December 18, 2011

Frittata

Before I get started, there's a lil something I gotta say. Thank you. First off, to all you who have taken to the time to come by and visit my little spot on the web. I'm almost up to 100 hits and that feels pretty cool. Thanks for checking back in. Next I wanna say thanks for the compliments I've gotten from friends and family about my writing. For me, that's a shock to hear that. Believe me, english was my WORST class in high school. I used to hate writing. I was the one that would stare at a blank page with no clue how to get started. Yet with this, I have no trouble getting started. I don't do any rough drafts or anything like that. I just sit my ass in front of the computer and try to keep up with my thoughts.

Besides age and a little wisdom gained, the biggest difference between high school Jason and current Jason is "Wants". Now I know what I want in life. I didn't know what the hell I wanted in high school. I knew I didn't want to be in class. I knew I didn't want to do any damn homework. Now, life is a bit more clearer. It's easier to see what I want and what I need. I don't think I needed to start this blog, but I certainly want to.

Lastly, a special shout out to my future baby-mama at work, Sammy. If wasn't for her, I wouldn't have made this dish tonight. Today at work I asked Sammy "Should I make something myself for the blog, or just go eat somewhere and write about it?". She quickly responded, "Make something! You did the restaurant thing last time.". So, thanks Sammy for setting me straight!

And for the record, I'm kidding about the whole baby-mama thing. She's just the homie like that. ;)

With all that's been said, it's time to get down to business.

A frittata is like a big, open faced Italian omelette. You can use all the same ingredients as in an omelette. In most cases, a frittata will have a starch included, such as potato or pasta. Once the eggs are introduced to the pan, you usually stir for a few seconds, let it cook a little bit to set the bottom and sides. From there, you top it with a little cheese and slam it in the oven until cooked through, which shouldn't take too long. Let it cool for a few, then slice into it like a pie. Done.

The above picture I grabbed online. That's what I would call a medium to light thickness for this dish. I saw Alton Brown make one that was almost paper thin. But, the first one that I had was about the size of a healthy portion of lasagna. It's really up to you on how big or small you wanna make this thing.

With so many variables on how to make this thing, I'm not going to write an exact recipe for what I made. A frittata doesn't need a recipe. It's more of a concept than an exact thing. You got some left-over veggies you need to use up? Make a frittata! You like omelettes but scared to flip the eggs in the air? Make a frittata! Got some people staying over and need to feed 'em something before giving them the boot? MAKE A FREAKIN' FRITTATA!

Clearly this is a dish for many occasions. So here's what I did for mine. I started by chopping up some onion and red bell pepper and sauteing them for a short time.

Once the onions turned clear, I added some diced canadian bacon to the mix.

When the bacon got a little color, I took the mix off the heat and set to the side. I had a day old baked potato, so I got most of the skin off and sauteed that for a little bit to bring a little crispy and heat to it. When the taters were good, I added the first mix to it.
After combining the first two mixes, I spread the mix evenly in the pan. From there I added 7 beaten eggs to the pan. I stirred the eggs just a little bit, but let the heat from the pan do most of the work. I then topped the whole thing with a couple hand fulls of cheese. From there, into the 375 degree oven it goes.

To be honest, I wasn't paying attention at how long it was in the oven. If I had to guess, I would say 7 to 10 minutes. It may look like a lot from the pics, but I'm just using a 10" sautee pan.

Once done, it rests for a few. Then it gets sliced. Then it gets eaten. :)  For real, you can top it with whatever you want. I went simple. Sour cream and chives.

And there it is. This is something that can be as good as your imagination can make it. Or it could be a way to make good use of left overs. It's up to you.

That's it for this one. Hoped you enjoyed it. Please feel free to leave comments. I'm all ears and ready to listen.

Take Care,

J. Miller

1 comment: