November 13, 2012

Arepa Sushi


I know that title doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's my blog, and it sounded good in my head. In any case, I'll explain more about that in a minute. Anyway, thanks for stopping by. I'm a little out of my head right now, so if this comes out weird, don't be too surprised. 3 hours of sleep, a good quantity of coffee followed by a double shot of whiskey I'm working on right now, equals an odd balance of energy and being dog tired. Wait...where was I going with this....oh yeah, Arepa Sushi!

For starters, this is clearly not sushi. No rice anywhere to be seen. But, sushi is what inspired me to create this. It's what inspired me to set it up and plate it like this. So, I'm calling it SUSHI!!!

OK, double shot done with. Uh..Yeah! If you have been keeping up with the blog, you might remember that earlier this year, I fell in love with arepas. I mean, these things just fucking rock. I kept seeing them on the food stations and had to try it myself. I'm happy I did.

As much as I loved it, I knew there was more to do with it than making patties out it and cutting it in half. I had seen a couple sites that had a stuffed arepa, but nothing done in a roll. After some thought, I knew I wanted to do sort of a "Faux" sushi type deal.

I like the presentation of square sushi rolls, so that part was taken care of. Now came the big question: What to stuff it with?

My first thoughts were to use a breakfast sausage. Not a bad idea, but I wanted something a bit more fancy. Italian sausages came up next, but I didn't wanna go that route. In the end I chose to go with a Portuguese sausage. I think I made the right call.

I decided to add roasted peppers to the mix. A little bite and good for color.

Since it was starting to have a South American feel to it, I thought I would try hand at making a chimichurri to add as a garnish and for flavor. Up to this point, I had never made it before. So, it would be something new for me as well.

OK, I just poured a glass of Vitamin Water and Vodka, and eerily enough, this shit doesn't taste bad at all! Fuck, what have I done? Uh.....ok. I think something has kicked in, so I'm just gonna start putting up the pictures while I can still see straight.

First, roast the peppers.

I also roasted a yellow pepper, but didn't get a pic. I sliced those up and then prepped the sausage. I wanted to put a little color on it for look and taste.


At this point, I prepped the arepa dough. Check my older post on arepas for a step by step. Basically, add warm water to the mix until combined. DONE!

In the spirit of sushi, and not being able to come up with any other way to do this, I used one of those mats they use to roll sushi to do this. I'm way too buzzed at this point to search for a good link for this, so just look at the pic.

I wrapped it in plastic and was ready to work the dough. I wasn't sure if the dough would be pliable enough to spread out on the mat, but it actually spread really easy, kind of like your sister!

I then laid out the peppers and sausage. Wow, round two of the V&V cocktail! I'm fuckin' buzzed!

From here, I roll it up!



After rolling two, I made the chimichurri. Sorry, no pics on that one. Think of it as a pesto with parsley instead of basil. And no cheese or pine nuts. I gotta finish this quick, cuz I'm going numb over here.

Next, it takes forever to type this becauze there's a shitload of fucking typos. Next, I saute on each side.

ugh, that burp didn't taste good. After it cools for a second or three, cut it like sushi.


Then you plate it up and eat! Bet you didn't see that one coming!


I like that second pic. It's kinda off kilter, like the old batman tv series with Adam West. BAM!! POW!! ZOINKS!!

It tasted pretty fucking good! Arepas rock to begin with. Add the peppers and sausage, you get a winning combo.

The real kicker was the chimichurri. It brought a fresh, garlicy punch to the mix that elevated everything. Chimichurri is my new thang. I love this shit. Giggity.

Know who else loved the chimichurri. My son. My lil dude. My heart. His name is Dominic. And I was surprised he liked the chimichurri as much as he did! He asked for seconds and thirds!


I try and keep my family out of this for numerous reasons, but he really liked the chimichurri, and he's a pretty picky eater. If he likes it, than you gotta try it! 'Nuff said!

I know, He's cute as all hell. It's ok. I think the same thing.

Don't worry, you are gonna see more of him next post.  That's it for now. I'm pretty much drunk at this point. It's taken a lot long to write this than it should have! I've never used the delete button this much.

I'm out Bitch!

J. Millerrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment