November 4, 2012

The Bison Burger


Hi Everybody! Glad you could make it back for another edition of my blog. What you see above is something that had piqued my interest for quite a while. The Ralph's market in my neighborhood started selling this last year. I would always pass by it and say "That looks interesting. I'll try it next paycheck." I don't know how many months I said this, but it was a while before I finally said "Fuck it" and bought it.

Why all the hesitation in such a simple purchase? The price. It was $8.99 for this one package. Good cuts of steak are less per pound than this stuff. I'm not a complete cheapskate, but this is pushing it, especially for ground meat. But, on the other hand, this was going to be something new for me. I didn't know anything about it, so it could have tasted like gold for all I knew. In the end, I knew I was gonna try this stuff eventually. What better time than now?

I knew I was going to make a burger out of the bison meat, so I got all the standard burger fixings, except pickles. I don't like pickles. They suck. Case closed.

First thing I did was rough chop some onion and saute until it started to get some color.

I separated the ground bison into two patties. For those of you that don't know me that well, when I make burgers, I don't fuck around with sliders or small patties. It's go big or piss off!


As you can see, the bison is a bit on the lean side. I don't have any pics of when it was cooking, but I can tell you that it didn't leave a pool of fat in the pan.

The only things I seasoned the burgers with was salt and pepper. Even though I did add a slice of cheese to the finished burger, I didn't want to cover the true taste of the meat.

Now for a closer look.

Now for the Diner's, Drive ins and Dives cut-my-burger-in-half shot.

Look at that! Spread open for the world to see! With a hot, juicy pink center! That just makes my mouth water.

So how does it taste? Pretty good. Nine dollars a pound good? No. It didn't have a "gamey" taste to it, but you could tell that it wasn't beef from a cow. It had a richness that is a little difficult for me to describe.

With it being lean, you aren't going to have juice running down your arm. But it's overall taste is of good quality. I hate using catchy phrases, but I guess you could say it has an "earthy" flavor.

Overall, it was a tasty burger. But, I don't think I'll be buying any more bison meat anytime soon. If you want to try something different, but don't like lamb or goat, give this one a go.

I'm out.

J. Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment