March 10, 2013

Roasted Chickpeas

 
 
As the name says, this one is all about roasted chickpeas. They are also called garbanzo beans, but I've never cared for that name. In fact, fuck that name! This is a chickpea neighborhood mother fucker! Yo ass better recognize!
 
Now that I have that food gang bangin' out of the way, lets get down to business. I had heard about roasted chickpeas and thought it would be something good to do for the blog. I love hummus, so I didn't see any reason not to try it.
 
To make this dish doesn't require a whole lot. Besides chickpeas, all you need is a little EVOO, some spices, and a working oven. That's it!
 
 
What you see above is the spice rub I threw together for it. I used salt, pepper, sugar, smoked paprika, and something else I just can't remember! Ugh, my mind has really been all over the place lately.
 
After that, rinse off the chickpeas well and dry them off with a couple paper towels.
 
Once dry, toss the chickpeas with a tablespoon or two of EVOO. When they are evenly coated, start to sprinkle in your spices. Do your best to keep the chickpeas moving as you season them, so each on can get an even amount of spices.
 
At this point, you can place them on a lightly oiled sheet pan and roast at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 to 40 minutes.
 
When finished, they will be smaller in size and should look something like this:


 
Let them cool down, then place in a purty bowl, and you are ready to eat!
 
So, how did it taste? Well...I wasn't impressed. At all. I know some of you might be wondering why I did a post on this in the first place if I didn't like it. Or why I didn't say that in the beginning. First off, I wanted you to read the whole post. Sorry about that. Second, this was something new for me and I wanted to share it with you.
 
If you have had this before and liked it, good for you! But for me, these were dry little mother fuckers! Yes, I know the intention is to dry them out, but damn! I felt like I needed to drink a full glass of water after eating a single chickpea. Not cool at all.
 
Something I did wrong was not seasoning them enough. I needed to be a lot more heavy handed in that aspect.
 
I really wanted to like these things. But, it just wasn't meant to be. Oh well, hummus will have to do for now. :-)
 
Food Haiku
 
 The Life Of Bread
 
This room is too hot
And the steam is not helping
Shit, I'm being BAKED!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment