July 8, 2013

T.S.D.O.B: Day 28 - The Green Sauce


Only 2 more posts after this one of Thirty Straight Days of Blogging. While I can't say that this month has flown by, it's a bit shocking to see how much writing I have done. I don't think I wrote this much all during high school. I was that kid sleeping in the back of English class that would occasionally wake up to say "I don't need this shit. I know how to speak english!" Who knew that years later I would actually want to write!

What I have for you today is my version of the green sauce I had at the Peruvian restaurant Aires Del Peru. The official name for this stuff is Aji Verde. I'm just calling it The Green Sauce.

Now, to make this stuff is actually as easy as it gets. You throw everything in the blender and blend away. The only part that can vary is the consistency. Some recipes will call for a tablespoon or two of mayo to thicken it. Recipes that say they are more authentic will only call for water and oil. In this case, I used a little mayo to get the consistency I wanted.

Aji Verde

1                 Cilantro bunch
2                 Cloves of Garlic
3                 Jalepenos, seeded and deveined
1/4 cup        Olive Oil
1/4 cup        Water
                    Mayo (as needed)
                    Salt and Pepper

I don't have any pictures of actually blending it because.....there just isn't that much to see.

I followed this recipe when I made it. Next time, I'm using serrano peppers. I don't care for jalepenos that much because they don't pack enough heat for me.

This sauce wasn't as smooth as the one I had at the restaurant. I guess I could have strained it out, but I liked the little bit of texture it had. The taste was pretty close to my restaurant experience, just not as hot. Even without the heat, this stuff is still fucking delicious. I just want to cover an entire plate of food with this stuff! It really is that good.

Lately, I've been throwing it on my potato chips. This stuff can even up the taste of a fucking potato chip! How cool is that?!?!

That's it for this one. Were almost to the end here! Make sure you come back to see this journey to the end!

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment