June 19, 2013

T.S.D.O.B: Day 10 - Bone Marrow


We are 10 days in with this Thirty Straight Days Of Blogging adventure. I haven't hit the point of worrying about what to post, but I could see that happening around day 20. Let's hope I can manage to get off my ass and whip something up for this blog!

What I have for you today is something that I see as being extremely trendy right now: Roasted Bone Marrow. Every gastropub and hipster joint from here to New York is putting bone marrow on their menu. And really, why not? Fatty is the way to go these days. Pork fat, duck fat, hobo fat, bacon, it doesn't even matter anymore. Want to kick up a dish? Add fat! And when all the fat from every mammal on earth has been rendered down, that's when you break the bones and get down and dirty with the marrow.

As a blogger and a foodie, I felt it was my duty to try this out for myself. My local grocery store was selling a pack of bones for about 4 bucks. It wasn't going to break the bank, but then again, you are only getting a few ounces of something edible.

I bought some french bread and shallots to go with it and headed home.

After checking a few recipes, I found one that seemed about on par with what I had seen on the food shows. All it said was to roast in an oven at 425F for about 15 to 20 minutes. All I did to it was sprinkle it with kosher salt and black pepper, with a tiny drizzle of olive oil.

While it was in the oven, I sliced up the french bread and lightly toasted the bread in a pan.


After that, I sliced the shallots and sauteed those until they got a good amount of color to them.

At this point, the bones were ready to come out of the oven. I had checked them first at 16 minutes, but felt they needed a little more time. At 20 minutes, they were done.


From here, I knew I had to get moving fast. I needed to take my pics for the blog and get eating before this stuff cooled down. There was no way in hell I was going to eat cold, fatty marrow!

So, with after taking a bunch of pics I would later delete for being crappy, it was time to eat!

I got a tiny butter knife and spread some across the toast. It has a jelly-like consistency, but looks like animal fat. Not exactly pleasing to the eye, but not too scary either.

I took a bite without the shallots first. Biting into it was like warm butter. You can feel it sort of coat the inside of your mouth with the natural fat. The flavor is, to say the least, rich. Very rich. This isn't something you want to eat a whole lot of. But, it does taste good. I honestly liked it. But, because it's like eating pure fat, you can't do too much of it. I highly recommend sharing this with someone else.

The shallots added a nice touch of flavor and texture. If you don't like onions, just make sure you bring some kind of crunch to the party.

That's about it for this one. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment