June 30, 2013

T.S.D.O.B: Day 20 - Joe's Italian Ice


Wow, it's day 20 of Thirty Straight Days of Blogging. It's gone by faster than I thought it would. I might actually be a little sad when it is all over. Well, I guess the only thing to do now is enjoy it while it's here.

What I have for you today is a place I stopped by a couple of days ago. I had never been here before, but some of my coworkers said it was pretty good. I was on my bike and the temperature was around the mid 80's. I couldn't think of any better time to try this place out.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not a huge fan of syrup over ice. Be it an Italian ice or Hawaiian ice, I'm just not that into it. It's just so much sugar! Luckily, this place has lots of options. They have smoothies, banana splits, and all sorts of good shit to cool you down on a hot day.

Even though I'm not crazy about Italian ice, I didn't want to leave there and not try it at all. It just so happens that they have drinks called Joe Smoothies, which are a 50/50 blend of Italian ice and yogurt. As soon as I saw that, I knew that was for me.

I ordered the regular size smoothie in the Bada Bing Cherry flavor. After a couple minutes, this is what I going to drink/eat:

Since it was pretty thick, I decided to skip the straw and just use the spoon.

I took a bite, and what I got was an intensely sweet, rich cherry flavor. The texture of it was really cool. It was creamy from the frozen yogurt, but had a slight crunch from the Italian ice. Really great mouth feel to this one. Another thing is that it was REALLY FUCKING SWEET!

My God, this had to have been the sweetest thing I've had in months! After about 6 or 7 bites, I was ready to walk away. But, I had paid almost 6 bucks for this things. I had to at least get to the half-way mark! The whipped cream on top did tame back the sweet a little bit, but there just wasn't enough of it.

Overall, it was a tasty drink. It had chunks of cherry in it, and it certainly did help on a hot day. My only advice is to drink one of these smoothies with a side of insulin. You are probably going to need it.


Joe's Italian Ice
12302 Harbor Blvd
Garden Grove, CA 92840

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment