June 13, 2013

T.S.D.O.B: Day 4 - Hush Puppies


Day 4 of Thirty Straight Days of Blogging is already here. Can you believe that shit?!?! Neither can I! It's way to early to start celebrating, but I will say that once I get past 7 days, I will begin to relax. Just a little bit.

As for this blog post, I almost didn't post this one for a very good reason, which I will explain in just a bit. Whatever reason that may be, let me just say that hush puppies are some tasty little fuckers. Deep fried cornbread balls of goodness. I think these may be the only balls that everyone wants to put in their mouth!

My only problem with hush puppies is that the only time I can get them, I have to be at a fish & chips joint. What gives? Maybe it's different where you are, but out here in Cali, you just don't see them that often. What a shame.

So, one lazy night at home, I decided to whip up a batch of my own hush puppies. I looked at a few recipes, and none of them seemed too complicated.

I turned on the flame, dropped the thermometer in the oil, and prepared to make these wonderful little treats.

The recipe used was this:

Ingredient                                Amount

I Can't  ................................. Fucking Remember!

For the life of me I can't remember the recipe I used! And NO, this didn't have anything to do with me drinking half a bottle of whiskey a few nights ago!

I think I looked at a few recipes and kind of mashed them together to make my own. Ugh, I feel really bad for not having a recipe for this. I can just see someone reading this post and saying, "Are you kidding me?!?! A food blog, and this asshole can't remember the recipe? Where is that 'Next Blog' button?!?!"

I'm sorry about this! I really am!

To be honest, all you have to do is make a cornbread recipe and cut back on the liquid. Add some cheese, maybe some onions and spices, and that's it! You are in business!

Here is a picture of the mystery mix:

I got my oil to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I used a small scoop and dropped in about 3 or 4 at a time. I was using a smaller pot, so I didn't want to put too many in at once.

When they got to a golden brown color, I took them out of the oil and let them drain off any excess oil on a paper towel. I sprinkled a pinch of salt on top, and they were good to go!

I didn't feel like making any sauces, so I just grabbed some ranch and went to town on 'em!

I added sharp cheddar to the mix, and to be honest, I barely tasted it. They were still good though. Maybe I should have followed a recipe. Oh yeah, A RECIPE I COULDN'T EVEN REMEMBER FOR MY READERS!! Don't worry, my neck will be sore tomorrow from me hanging my head in shame all day today. :-(

See ya tomorrow. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment