June 19, 2013

T.S.D.O.B: Day 9 - Call Me Mr. Porter



Glad you could make it here for Day 9 of Thirty Straight Days Of Blogging. If you are wondering about the title 'Call Me Mr. Porter' it has to do with this style of beer, which is called a Porter. I had heard of it, but never really tried it until last night. Let me just say this now: I have found a new love.

I had wanted to try this beer for a specific reason. I saw a dish called a Welsh Rarebit. It called for a Porter beer to be used in it. I had no idea what a Porter tasted like, so that was my mission before trying the dish.

When I got to my local grocery store, they seemed to have a decent selection of Porters. To play it safe, I bought a 22oz of two different brands instead of investing in 6-packs, in case I wouldn't like it. The first was from the Firestone Walker Brewing Company. The second was from the Stone Brewing Company. I've had other beers from Stone, so that seemed like a safe bet. The other one has a lion and a bear getting ready to fight each other. That was a good enough selling point for me!


The first Porter I tried was from Firestone Walker. When I poured it, I could see that it was a dark beer. Even as I poured it slowly, it still created about a 1 inch head at the top. The head itself reminded me of the top of a root beer float, in color and overall appearance. 

I poured 2 glasses, one for my mom and I. We toasted and took a sip. The second I tasted this, I knew I was in a good place. This stuff was incredibly smooth! Almost velvety across the palate, with a rich, robust flavor. Truly a magnificent beer!

After polishing off the FW in no time flat, we had to try the Porter from Stone. When pouring it, I could see that it wasn't quite as dark as the first beer, but the head shared the same characteristics.

Another toast and down the hatch it went. This one wasn't as smooth as the Firestone. While the taste was good, it had a feel closer to an ale. My mom wasn't too crazy about it and gave me most of her glass to finish off. I had no problems with that at all. I kinda wish she had done that with the Firestone.

If you haven't figured it out, the Porter from Firestone Walker won this battle. How could it not? It has a lion and a bear ready to fight it out on the damn label!

Speaking of fighting bears, let me talk about Game of Thrones for a minute. While the Red Wedding was incredibly painful to watch, it wasn't the biggest shocker to me this last season. After a little thought, the scene where Brienne had to fight a bear was just down-right horrifying.

There are so many things wrong with this! First off, who in the fuck keeps a bear around? And, they keep a bear around for sole purpose of fighting humans as some sort of sick punishment! I mean...Goddamn

I was talking to a coworker, Katherine, about this, and she reminded me that this was a show where a guy got his dick cut off. Then she asked me "Which would you choose: Fight a bear with a wooden sword or get your dick cut off?" Fuck, no man should ever have to make a choice like that. So, I chose the bear.

I couldn't come up a with a punishment like that on my best day. Seriously! "For my amusement, I want you to...fight...A BEAR! With...uh...a wooden stick! Yes, that sounds delightful! Let the show begin!" I know I'm a little fucked up in the head, but I'm not that far gone.

That's it for this one. I'm off to the store to get more of that FW Porter.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment